Here’s a little look at what life has been like lately in words and pictures!
Lately I’ve been…
- Wrapping up a season of bopping between three jobs most days, and feeling exhausted. Wrung out, weary, and weird. Soon it will be back to one, just nannying, and I’m sure I’ll be feeling all restless again but for now I’m ready to sleep for a week.
- Eating a lot of green apples dipped in caramel, steel-cut oats, and english muffins. I get into food ruts where I’ll very contentedly eat the same thing almost every day for a week and a half, when suddenly I feel like I can never eat that thing again and need something else asap.
- Listening to podcasts nearly non-stop due to the incessant commuting of my past few weeks. Revisiting This American Life (everyone’s classic), and still working my way through current fave Spilled Milk.
- Watching Mad Men for the first time and loving it as much as I always assumed I would. We’re deep in season two, and PLEASE don’t tell me what will happen.
- Longing for a spring-y shoe, aka something that doesn’t require socks. I should probably bite the bullet and just buy some dansko clogs on ebay. Seems like I’ll never find any to thrift. I always look, hopeful as ever. Once I found an amazingly distressed brown pair at Goodwill. I couldn’t believe my luck, my heart skipped a beat, I slipped them on only to find that they were far, far too big. Dreams, dashed. Heart, broken. Feelings, hurt. Someday.
- Reading up a STORM. This is acutally the culprit for why this post has taken so long to write. I’ve literally had it open in a tab on my computer for quite a few days, except my computer has been going untouched because Ive been reading so dang much! Sorry sweet readers. I just finished My Brilliant Friend, the first book in Elena Ferrante’s lauded Neopolitan Novels series, and now am anxiously waiting my turn for a copy of the next book from the library. I read all of Dept. of Speculation in a day and HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Every woman should read this book. Now I’m working my way through The Sleepwalker’s Guide to Dancing, a commitment of a novel that is unfolding wonderfully.
- Listening to a lot of Simon and Garfunkle and Carole King. Don’t ask me how Carole’s “So Far Away” became my spring theme song. It just happened somehow and what is done is done. It’s on repeat around here and I’m not sorry. So farrrrrr awayyyyy! (Listen to it. Now.)
- Wanting to garden. We are moving to a new house in June, and I’m secretly planning a little raised bed in the back yard with whatever I can find to grow so late in the season. I’m a complete novice here, so if any sort of garden-saavy person wants to be my mentor in this endeavor, the floor is yours!
- Wondering what to do next now that so many things are closing down for me. I don’t have any new theater jobs lined up for the summer and beyond. Life feels like a big question mark. I have a lot of ideas and a lot of energy, but I’m not sure where to step first. I think I’ll stand in the wondering for a while rather than randomly going toward something. I’m trying to remind myself that life is spacious and there is plenty of time. Plenty of time.
- Feeling amazed that it’s already been almost a year since graduating from college. Time has flown and creeped at the same time. I still feel just as unsure about the world as I did this time last year, but I’m also so proud of what I’ve accomplished. Moving, marriage, jobs, and life, they’re all just happening and it’s hard and wonderful!
- Having crazy ideas about making a QUILT (?!?!?!?!?!?!). In no way am I qualified to do this, although being a Bornman maybe grandfathers me into a quilting legacy (both of Isaiah’s grandmothers are quite prolific quilt-makers). I know literally nothing, but I have ideas. This one might stay a pipe dream for quite some time. Maybe the goal will be to make a crib quilt by the time I have a baby (also ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!). HAHA FUNNY DREAMS!
Continue reading to see what life’s been like lately in pictures!
Lately, in Photos:
Found a new favorite house for sale on Damen. Too bad we are still buckling under the weight of student loans and extreme youth. Sigh.
Found the ultimate self-care latte at Big Shoulders. Complete with a real toasted marshmallow! What more could you want in this world?
Crafted some pretty kick-butt valentines with my power ladies.
Opened a stunning show at my old stomping grounds as an official choreographer. I have to say, it felt pretty dang good.
Made the corn dance, Joseph-style.
Enjoyed some fancy breakfast in the loop as evidenced in a well-composed snap.
Recieved some caffienated encouragement in go-time from a very precious fellow “AB.”
Saw my sister on the day she turned nineteen, felt old and happy.
Celebrated Easter with bells and dancing and all the flowers.
Did Galentine’s Day right with cookie cake, rom coms, dancing, and all sorts of pampering.
Did Valentine’s Day right with the hottest husband in town.
Accidentally on purpose went to the car show. Responded by hiding in a Kia and listening to podcasts. City life is weird.
Taught these Chicago high school gals a thing or two about theater or maybe just laughed with them about the silly things their classmates did.
Ate a biscuit on Maunday Thursday, aka when I needed it most.
Did the adult task of renewing passports with my handsome husband and my goofy self.
Took my kiddos to the Field Museum where they mostly laid on the floor and liked the animal dioramas best.
For a look back, you can find all my latelies here. I’m trying to keep track of life as diligetnly as I can, lest I forget. As always, I am so grateful, dear reader, to be joined in this space. If you ever have any thoughts or ideas about anything I write say or show, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m always excited to connect.