Lately I’ve been…
- Drinking daily lattes (homemade for economy sake) and very not sorry.
- Listening to a lot of music I don’t know. Sometimes that’s the most comforting thing. Choosing music sometimes feels like a bigger choice than it should, and I find myself displeased with playlists I’ve made that were once pleasing to me, or tired, even, of some of my very favorite artists. Sometimes the easiest listening is something new. Shoutout to Spotify’s Discover Weekly playlists which are pretty consistently great. Check that out if you haven’t already.
- Not reading as much as I want to, but completely engrossed in Leanne Shapton’s Swimming Studies. I’m not sure I’ve ever read a more beautifully constructed and creative memoir. It’s leaving me wanting to read everything Shapton has ever written. Not surprised that I love her as she is one of the awesome ladies behind Women in Clothes. Smart literary power ladies forever.
- Baking BREAD! I found the Jim Lahey No-Knead recipe that I’d heard about before in Food 52’s Genius Recipes book, and the first time I tackled it, it turned out wonderfully! Crisp on the outside with a soft, airy, open crumb on the inside. Delicious bread and a fantastically easy recipe. May be my new go-to. Original NYTimes recipe here.
- Listening to Podcasts on all my walks to and from work. Currently very into Call Your Girlfriend, the perfect podcast for baby feminists everywhere.
- Waiting to hear back about various job opportunities and feeling antsy/sad/existential about it all. Taking lots of sad baths, what else is new
- Watching a lot of Lost with Isaiah, omg the otherssssss. How did I miss this the first time around? Probably because I was a child and not ready for all the scary suspense. It’s intense. Also, when I’m alone, Scandal forever and ever xoxoxo. I think all the election craziness got me in the mood again, after a brief hiatus. Thank you Netflix, you always deliver.
- Eating Dark Chocolate Covered Blueberries from TJ’s and quinoa salads. And occasionally going out for fancy mint tea.
- Needing a real job, or something to apply my heart and body and brain to. Cabin fever is getting real here.
- Wanting to move my body more. I’ve been in a January slump too long, eating too much bread and sitting on too many couches. Yoga perhaps? A dance class? What I really want is a pool to swim long, quiet, thoughtful laps in. That’s what I really want.
- Needing to watch The Devil Wears Prada, even if only just for Stanley Tucci’s fabulousness and that sexy grilled cheese sandwich man. And Meryl Streep saying “that’s all.” That’s all.
- Eating my weight in clementines. They’re fruit, right? Citrus season is one of the best things about winter. My friend Avery recently told me that she usually keeps a clementine in her coat pocket. That, my friends, is the right way to winter, I tell you.
- Wanting to simultaneously get rid of most of the things I own and burrow in a pit of my stuff my stuff my stuff. Owning things is confusing.
- Deleting Facebook from my phone, because it seems sillier and sillier every day. (But still checking it often, because old habits die hard.)
- Trying to make heads or tails of this upcoming election. Found this handy overview from the Skimm very helpful. Still feeling foggy about it, and pretty dang angry about the Donald Trump ridiculousness that needs to end now. A pretty big part of me feels ready to have a woman in the oval office.
- Figuring out what to stitch next. Another quilt pattern perhaps? Silhouette of Barbra Streisand? The sky’s the limit!
- Wanting to send more correspondence, particularly via email. I love email. Anyone wanna be my internet pen pal?
- Window shopping compulsively on Of A Kind. It’s pretty much the best.
- Wanting to hide in a hole every time I’m supposed to meet new people. Who knew making friends post-grad would be so hard!? Today in the car, Isaiah and I decided that we are sick of calling this time of life “post-grad.” We don’t want to be “post” anything! We want to be current! Right now! I think a rebranding of the term “post-grad” is in order. Who’s with me???
Lately, in photos:
Sometimes a quesadilla is just right. And not using a plate.
SUCH A CUTE SISTER!
Friends who eat danish together stay together.
The happiest dang Google Hangout in all creation.
I made this bread! And I ate almost all of it in one day! I’m almost as good at baking bread as I am at eating it!
Perhaps the perfect latte? You tell me.
On Three Kings Day, Isaiah and I BOTH found baby Jesus in our cake. BABY VIBES??? Just kidding!
POWER MOVES ONLY, POWER LADIES. So forever proud of the work that happens in our little theater.
I think I never want to see Julius Caesar with male actors again.
Margaret’s inagural visit to Sprout Home, christened by the purchase of a tiny plant now named “Fern.”
Made these rice crispy treats for a power lady meet up, ate most of them myself.
All of the cute people wearing cute shoes and eating donuts, what could be better?
Some nights I grow tall.
Cold husband in the cold world, angling to drink all of lake michigan.
THE PROPHESY HAS COME TO PASS, I AM THAT PIZZA YOU HEARD OF. At tmlmtbgb.
Margaret and Degas, chins turned up, looking.
Dr. Milliner on the parapet floor telling the truth to the masses.
A ceiling at Garfield Park Conservatory, winter oasis, bringer of light.
You can’t tell, but we were viewing Jupiter and two of its moons, a pretty magic thing to do. The bright spot is the moon, always the moon.
Afternoon mood at a new favorite coffee shop.
Three beautiful women at the top of a fancy hotel waiting for a kind security guard, being bold, trying.
A heartbreakingly good place to return to. My favorite room in America, perhaps, no longer mine, but available.