Lately, a lot. Big thoughts, trying to pray, trying to make things, wearing my sneakers. Podcasts, LPs, stripes from salvation army, and dinner rolls. First, a list.
- Reading Annie Dillard, particularly Holy the Firm, which sort of changed my life, and An American Childhood, which feels like it was secretly written just for me because of the specificity of being a child in Pittsburgh.
- Listening to a lot of Christmas on vinyl, especially Barbra Streisand’s Christmas Album because I want all Barbra all the time.
- Trying to run or use my body usefully every day so I don’t shrivel up or feel weak. It’s hard.
- Thinking a lot about prayer and practicing prayer. I’m writing a sort of Book of Hours for myself currently that I hope to slowly memorize and work through throughout my day as much as I can. Reading some Phyllis Tickle as I slide into this project.
- Wishing to knit. Not sure how to start because all the experience I have is some knit-purl basics from an earnest early-highschool me, and I don’t think that’s enough for my current ambitions (beautiful cushy perfect sweaters), so I’m just letting the want be there for a bit.
- Baking. Dinner rolls and peppernuts today, both from heirloom family recipes so I won’t share because I’m greedy.
- Wanting more time with everyone I love, especially the women I love. Lady time is not to be sniffed at. Lady time is important.
- Cheering for all the power-ladies, the ones I know and the ones I admire from afar. Power-Ladies, you amaze me. I’m sorry that I don’t tell you you’re awesome more often.
- Needing to watch When Harry Met Sally, if even just for the Christmas tree parts and Sally’s cool hat.
- Needing more Meg Ryan in general all the time forever.
- Trying to not look at my phone so much, but yuck it’s an uphill battle, why is instagram so interesting???
- Yearning for more space to spread out in and more room to invite people in.
- Super happy about the little metal fruit basket thing Isaiah and I found at the Salvation Army. And little black ice skates. And free skating rinks in Chicago. And Friday afternoons.
- Grateful for every single person who meets me in this little corner of the internet to read my heart, WOW GOSH THANK YOU.